Thursday, September 30, 2004

Book littering...

Is going to be fun.

Before you report me to our lazy authorities about disturbing the peace and dirtying up our pristine country, allow me to present Bookcrossing.
*with many thanks to Aimee Rae for introducing me to this

What is Bookcrossing? It's easily explained by three Rs.

    • Read a good book. (you already know how to do that)
    • Register it here (along with your journal comments), get a unique BCID(BookCrossing ID number), and label the book.
    • Release it for someone else to read (give it to a friend, leave it on a park bench, donate it to charity, "forget" it in a coffee shop, etc.), and get notified by email each time someone comes here and records journal entries for that book. And if you make Release Notes on the book, others can Go Hunting for it and try to find it! (courtesy of Bookcrossing.com)

Reading a good book, check. Registering the book on the website, check. "Forgetting" your book in a coffee shop...wait a minute! Bookcrossing is actually encouraging people to "leave" their books in public places?

Yes. That's the whole premise. And in the United States alone, there are over 17,000 released books that are lying in train stations, bathroom cubicles, doctors' waiting rooms, and college parks. So when someone picks up a seemingly innocent book and spots the BCID scrawled on the inside front cover, s/he goes online, key in the BCID, and voila! s/he has just caught a book.

What's my goal? To spread my book collection all over this dusty metropolis! I like marking my books, so if you spot a book lying around the Makati-Greenbelt-Glorietta area with an SME scrawled on the inside cover page, that's mine. And if you want to find out when and where I've released my books, check back on the recently released page over at Bookcrossing. I'll leave some clues as well.

Of course, there will be some people who won't know what Bookcrossing is all about, so I'll make sure to leave a little note inside the books instructing them what to do. The chances that they'll go online may be nil, but what the hey!

Some authors I will be leaving lying around: Dick Francis, William Bernhardt (better than John Grisham), L.M. Montgomery, Victoria Holt, Dan Brown, John Grisham, Mary Higgins Clark, Sylvia Plath, Bridget Jones, Rose Tremain, and a lot more.

Join in as well on the crusade to spread books around!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

am a bookcrosser, too! :) - guile (squirreltalk.blogdrive.com)

8:57 AM  

Hit me with your best shot

<< Home