Thursday, September 23, 2004

The Erosion of Natural.

"Breathe the free air, my friend."
- Gandalf to Theoden, The Two Towers Movie


I can't.

I can't breathe here. Every whiff I take is 90 percent smog, 8 percent malodorous sweat from other people, and two percent is 98 percent smog and malodorous sweat from other people.

I remember when my sixth grade homeroom teacher told our class about her friend, who was a pilot, and how he had flown over Antipolo and was apalled at the thick black smog he saw covering the sky. That was 10 years ago.

While walking around Sydney Harbor, my tita told me that most Australians think Sydney is dirty. Looking at the clean streets and inhaling the fresh sea air, I replied that a visit to Manila might change their minds in an instant.

Observe, also, the diaspora of Pinoys and their elderly ones as they look for places where they'll be able to live out the rest of their lives in relative peace of mind.

I figure that by the time I'm 30, I'd have ingested more smog than the average citified Yank.

------

I can't walk here.

Sidewalks are non-existent. Bike lanes are non-existent. I consider it one of the biggest ironies in the world that I can gaily walk inside the streets of Makati. The country's biggest business district.

But I still can't walk.

I can't enjoy the beauty of the day while being surrounded by overloaded, groaning buses and salacious drivers.

I can't enjoy the sights because they're all blocked by buildings and megatowers. Come to think of it, the sights are the buildings and megatowers.

I can't daydream.

Little by little, this country is choking the life out of me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

let's go to new zealand then. i hear the whales calling my name.

7:16 PM  

Hit me with your best shot

<< Home