Monday, February 07, 2005

Meet the Twentysomethings, part two.

I don't want to get up, just let me lie in,
leave me alone, I'm a twentysomething.*
When it comes to education, the article suggests that students end up paying more than what their degrees are worth. In other words, education has become more expensive, and with the jobs that twixters get right out of it, "seriously out of step with the real world in getting students ready to become workers in the postcollege world."

Take me, for example. I am a literature graduate from the other side of the fence. I work as a writer for an IT company. A far cry from being a professor (it goes with the degree) or a journalist, which I originally wanted to be. (but that's another story)

Because we take "education" in this country seriously, my parents paid around half a million pesos to ensure me of a degree that was mailed four months after graduation proper. It certifies that I am indeed "educated". And what's more, I don't owe the school anything in terms of loans or financial packages. Parents are not cash cows, I know.

It's a different story in the US, where most college students are pressed to accept financial loans instead of scholarship grants. The emphasis is on loans, and not grants. Now, writes Time, "recent college graduates owe 85% more in student loans than their counterparts of a decade ago, according to the Center for Economic and Policy Research." This alone makes it longer to pay off school loans and therefore longer to attain financial independence.
"Meanwhile, those expensive, time-sucking college diplomas have become worth less than ever. So many more people go to college now--a 53% increase since 1970--that the value of a degree on the job market has been diluted...To compensate, a lot of twixters go back to school for graduate and professional degrees. "
Going to graduate school seems a pointless waste of effort in the sense that the pattern is cruelly reinforced: to get better jobs and better pay, one must yet again avail of a school loan in order to go to graduate school, thereby piling up the already-huge debts and "pushing adulthood even further into the future."

To be continued. (again, I know.)

*Twentysomething by Jamie Cullum.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a full time corporate job over the summer between my third and fourth years of college when I was 18. I started working when I was 20. This is already my third job in a little more than two years. I think it all boils down to necessity and responsibility - which may or not be intertwined. Some people feel responsible for themselves while others might be pressured to work for all practicalities' sake. Then again others might not.

Ton
http://vandarkala.i.ph/

4:37 PM  

Hit me with your best shot

<< Home