Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Things that make you feel bad, occasionally.

My friend, Djong, has been subscribed to Yahoo! Daily Wire, where she gets all sorts of interesting information about the world. One of the many things she's shared with me is a website which tells what people accomplished at certain ages in their lives. The clincher is that you put in your own age, and the page then tells you peoples' accomplishments at that age.

I put down 23, my age, and these are some of the things that people accomplished:
  • T. S. Eliot wrote "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock".
  • Margaret Mead traveled to the South Seas as part of a "giant rescue operation" to study primative cultures before they perished.
  • Jack Nicklaus became the youngest golfer to win the Masters.
  • John Keats wrote "Ode on a Grecian Urn", which ends with the lines, "'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,' - that is all / Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".
And some of the things that are so outlandish that all you can do is laugh outright:
  • At seven, Harper Lee, who later wrote To Kill a Mockingbird, decided she wanted to become a writer. (I love the book, but hello, what's so special about deciding to be a writer at that age?)
  • Michael Weinheimer learned how to calculate square roots at age seven. Three years later, he learned how to tie his shoelaces. (?!)
  • At age five, Gabriel Cortes was thought to be retarded. Four years later his mother was approached by school officials asking permission to advance him two grades. At age 21 he dated three women in one night. At age 24 he routed his adversaries in "Spectre Supreme," becoming the de facto champion at San Jose State. At age 26 he was charged with multiple counts of felony hacking and amazingly bartered them all down to a single misdemeanor. (I bet those are accomplishments.)
  • Albert Einstein did not begin to talk until the age of three. (Not something I'd particularly brag about, but different strokes, I guess.)
  • At age three, Tennessee Williams told his first scary story. (Oooh.)
  • Hungarian composer Franz Liszt gave his first piano concert at the age of 9, or perhaps 11. (Huh?)
Still entertaining, nonetheless. Weinheimer was such a loser, not knowing how to tie his shoelaces until he was 10. I didn't know how to calculate square roots until I was like, 20.

10 Comments:

Blogger Shiro said...

gah.

it's bad enough to know that ewan mcgregor will forever be obi-wan kenobi.

and well... he's my age. :-P

5:40 PM  
Blogger jillsabs said...

sigh...we're a generation of unspecial, unaccomplished people... :(

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

at the instance of my birth, i asked myself the purpose of my existence. i was slapped in my butt for asking such silly question. =)

--berto

3:02 PM  
Blogger Mindy said...

I'm in my 30's and I still don't know square roots, bwaha! :)

4:33 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

shiro: he's ewan. =P hehe.

jill: =( i refuse to believe that...sometimes. =P

berto: hahaha!

mindy: i know how you feel. =)

5:13 PM  
Anonymous mud said...

you mean people actually did that at 23?! geez, i better hurry before i turn 24 soon...

(does knowing how to count to 1,000 count?) :P

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Michael Weinheimer said...

I found it interesting that all of the accomplishments you posted from the website, you chose to comment on mine.

6:10 AM  
Blogger domestic diva! said...

Hi Michael,

I think she's just jealous and is trying to make herself feel better.
Don't worry about it, at least she's made you more known!!

12:18 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

hi michael,

thanks for dropping by.

anyway, i'd call it sarcastic wit myself, but that's just me. and believe me, i still don't know how to calcuate for square roots.

ate,

*laughing*

11:33 AM  
Blogger domestic diva! said...

Sarah,

Give birth to three babies naturally, without any painkillers, I can do anytime. Calculate square roots? I'd rather have a root canal.

1:09 PM  

Hit me with your best shot

<< Home