Thursday, July 21, 2005

Feel the Starbucks love.

There's no question that Starbucks has taken over the Philippines. In Makati, the birthplace of the yuppie, it's impossible for you not to spot Lady Liberty while walking along Ayala Avenue, Valero, Legaspi, Salcedo Village, Makati Avenue, Kalayaan Avenue, you name it.

Its overpriced coffee scared me at first. It still does, and I don't even like coffee. The only drink I regularly order is their Rhumba. And I think it's more of a dessert rather than a drink, which is why I love it.

The one time I deviated from their Rhumba was a couple of years back. I ordered a caramel macchiato, and thought it would be too bitter for my taste. To soothe my worry, I asked the barista, and she said it wasn't. After the first sip, I screwed up my face and looked back toward the counter with all the fury and loathing I could muster. I never felt so betrayed in my life.

When I went to Australia last year for a peace conference, I think the first thing that struck me was the relative lack of Starbucks there. I went around Sydney and couldn't spot anything remotely like Lady Liberty. I did see a lot of Gloria Jean's stores, though, plus various coffee kiosks like this:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Djong gave me an interesting site that calls itself I Hate Starbucks. The owner is funny, smart, and capable of returning the insults to him with dry wit. Examples:

"Looser"!?!

I get a lot of email of people calling me "looser". What am I looser than? How do you know? Have you been reading my diary? If you are going to call someone a loser, at least spell it right. It really helps with the credibility.

When I accidently came across this web site I was curious to learn why anyone would exert their energy to HATE STARBUCKS. After reading the first 20 messages I realized who these "haters" are. They are un-educated, un-informed and largely un-civilized cretons. Not one message of the 20 had perfect grammer or spelling. Most made no sense and all were simply bitter, lazy people who are jealous of the success of Starbucks.
DS

This is a great one. Not content to call me a "looser" she called everyone who posts on the website "cretons". I think she meant "cretins", but I wasn't entirely certain. English, it has to be said, has a lot of words. So I looked it up. The closest thing I could find was:

cre·tonne
Pronunciation: 'krE-"tän, kri-'
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from Creton, Normandy
: a strong cotton or linen cloth used especially for curtains and upholstery

This is another case of someone reaching just a bit too high intellectually to make an argument sound more sharp. In fact, D.S. you have proved who is the real cretin.

I won't go into the fact that you spelled grammar wrong.

Higher, faster and stronger has to do with the olympics, not your sad attempts to use biting rhetoric. Stick to mouth-breathing, T.V. watching and snack food eating.

Thanks.

To view the entries, go straight to the bulletin board. Some are downright hilarious. And they all seem to share a general hatred of those snobby yuppies and pa-cool teenagers who think that carrying around a cup of Starbucks gives them a sense of real belonging.

Or it just might be the coffee.

2 Comments:

Blogger joy said...

i guess starbucks has replaced mcdonald's as the ugly face of globalization. here in the philippines though, i'd like to give it credit for making coffee 'cool' and encouraging local players to revive the coffee industry

9:53 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

i read that they have more stores globally than mcdonald's now. yikes.

nothing like competition to revive things, huh? =)

11:58 AM  

Hit me with your best shot

<< Home